"Becoming Victoria"


I am honoured and excited to have been invited by the Llandrindod Wells Victorian Festival committee to appear as a young Queen Victoria at this year's festival from 22nd-28th August 2016. In preparation for this role I will be designing and making the costumes for the young queen over the coming months. These will be authentic reproductions of the fashions of the early years of Victoria's reign and will include a range of 1840s women's garments from corsets and petticoats to day dresses, ball gowns and bonnets. This blog will document and share my progress as I research, design and stitch each element to reveal the secrets of "Becoming Victoria".

Thursday 28 July 2016

Victoria's Ball Gown

25 days to go...

I can't believe how fast the time is running out and I don't have long to post today. But before I get back to stitching (all the unexciting bits - eyelets holes and hook and eyes to fasten the dresses and boning channels) I just thought I would share some pictures of the finished ball gown. That is, finished without all of the hand-stitched lacing holes up the back!


Inspired by Queen Victoria's wedding dress, this gown has a deep pointed waist, double puff sleeves and a deep lace bertha at the neckline. This gown will be worn with the Queen's regalia for The Victorian Grand Ball on Friday 26th August and also for the Pageant of Queen Victoria's life on Tuesday 23rd August.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your comments and questions here